Sunday, March 13, 2011

Down the Rabbit Hole and Chocolate Trifle!

I think I'm going to start this blog as a part of a project for my documentary cinema class. Our assignment is to document something (ANYTHING) over the course of the semester. I think a blog will be a great way for me to document my artistic endeavors as well as my adventures in the kitchen over the course of a semester. Also, I hope this will help me organize my recipes and keep track of my art. Hopefully this blog will be useful to others as well. Maybe it will be inspiration for new meals or new artwork of your own.

Right now I am on spring break until the 20th of March. I am super excited about this because it means less homework and more painting/drawing/sculpting/baking! My goal for the week is to make one new creation every day and share them with you fine people! (I have no idea who you people are actually, but I'm sure you're lovely.)

I will start by posting my projects from yesterday and today.

Saturday March 12, 2011- I had a bunch of scrap wood laying around my apartment and for some reason one piece of it just screamed "DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE!" at me. I had been thinking about making this painting for a few days and had sketched a couple plausible designs in my notebooks while bored in class. Saturday night my wonderful boyfriend Ben and I decided to watch the new Alice in Wonderland movie since neither of us had seen it, and I decided that was a perfect opportunity to start my painting. I had Ben saw part of the board off so it wouldn't be too heavy to hang after I painted it. Then I got started sketching everything out with a pencil. I painted the piece with acrylics and used black felt tipped pens for the outlines. I plan to cover the whole thing in a clear sealer and attach hooks for hanging it to the back.


Here are some close up shots of Alice and the vegetation at the bottom. Alice was based on the Disney version, but I tried to make her look a little different with duller colors and things like that.

The toadstools, fiddle-head ferns, mushrooms, and tiger lilies were all just off the top of my head.
Anyways, I'm hoping to open an Etsy shop to sell paintings like this and some more traditional style paintings as well. Let's move on to today's creation!

Sunday, March 13, 2011 I made a chocolate trifle today! It was super delicious but super sweet. I think I prefer raspberry trifle to chocolate just because I needed like 3 glasses of milk to wash this thing down. Plus raspberry trifle seems a lot lighter when I make that. Anyways, one of my friends who is a self proclaimed chocoholic loved it so I will share the recipe for those of you who need a little more chocolate in your life right now.

I apologize for the crappy pictures. My kitchen has terrible lighting for taking pictures of food. Anyways, on with the recipe!

1 package of brownie mix prepared (or your favorite brownie recipe)
1 3.9 ounce package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup water
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Crushed/shaved chocolate bar of some sort (I used crushed Heath)

Beat whipping cream with mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold in powdered sugar and vanilla.
Combine chocolate pudding mix, sweetened condensed milk, and water in a large bowl. Fold in 1/3 of whipped cream mixture.
Cut brownies into 1 inch squares and place 1/2 the brownie squares on the bottom of a trifle dish or glass bowl. Spread half the chocolate pudding mixture on top of the brownies. Put half the whipped cream on top of the chocolate pudding mixture. Repeat this for another layer. On top of the final whipped cream layer, add some shaved chocolate or crushed candy bar pieces. That's it! It's pretty simple but dirties a lot of bowls. Enjoy! (Refrigerate leftovers)
Thanks for reading! Have a great day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment